Saturday 25 August 2012

The experience of blogging


Old fishing boat beside the fishermen's huts on the Stade, Hastings
 
 
I started this blog about six weeks ago, as a way of keeping in touch with friends in France - and indeed elsewhere in the UK and the rest of the world.  Otherwise there's a danger of losing contact: and friends are too important for that.  However, the blog seems to be developing a slight life of its own.  I'm a tad taken aback to be told by blogger.com that I've had over a thousand page views in that period: and when I look at the audience figures I see that, in addition to the UK and France - which I would have expected - people seem to be clicking in from the USA (25% of the total).  Flattering though this is, I can't believe these are all people I know.  What interests them about my little ramblings?  perhaps they'd let me know.  The other surprise is the number - just under 5% - from Russia.  Now I know nobody in Russia at all.  I'm flattered, though slightly alarmed.  I am not going to be drawn into disclosing my views on the Pussy Riot question, for fear of some cyber-retribution.

Of course this whole thing has gone slightly to my head.  I have added some tweaks at the end of the blog, which enable you to be posted as a "follower", and - I think - to have the blog sent to you by email.  But since my technical expertise is severely limited, none of it may work.

I shall continue to fire postcards into the ether, since somebody somewhere is clearly enjoying them  Perhaps there's a single person out there who's been logging on a thousand times in the past six weeks.  If so, I'm delighted to be giving at least one person something to do!

Antony Mair   
 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Antony, I for one love reading them and tracking your and Paul's progress, keep up the good work X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Antony

    I have come across your blog by accident and have been reading through your entries. I live in Hastings and it is wonderful to read your descriptions of the eccentricites of the town. I think I read somewhere that Hastings is always on the edge - economically, geographically and culturally - or maybe I just made that up myself and I am in fact ultra intelligent. Anyway, I think it's a good description. I shall pop in for another look soon!

    All the best :)

    Carol

    ReplyDelete