Monday 8 October 2012

Always a weekend event in Hastings!


From the sublime...
 
You may well - and rightly - have the impression that there is a succession of small events and celebrations in this seaside town.  On Saturday we had the beginning of what is called "Hastings Week" - a series of events that culminates in the UK's biggest bonfire, a little ahead of November 5.  On Saturday and Sunday there was a classic car rally on the Stade: Saturday was a fairly small business when I strolled down in the afternoon, though this Chevrolet struck me as being particularly magnificent. 
 
Sunday was another matter: the space was packed with English and American cars, polished and lovingly tended by fanatical owners.  The older generation were out in full force, reminiscing about the cars of their youth - and I have to confess that I engaged in a fair amount of this myself.  Looking after and restoring old cars may have its nerdy side, but - as I recall a young criminal saying once in another context - "it's better 'n' beatin' up old grannies, ennit?"
 
Antony Mair
8 October 2011
 
 
...to the (faintly) ridiculous!
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment