Tuesday 27 November 2012

Radio 4 - dull, dull, dull

Broadcasting House - temple of dullness

Forgive another little rant.  My father spent the major part of his working life working for the Beeb, and until his death in 1971 I always regarded the Corporation as a hive of creativity and – if not enlightenment – ideas.  On weekends before we went to France I would usually have Radio 4 on in the kitchen, and considered myself something of a fan.  Now, however, I am dismayed to find it – well, dull.

Take an example of the schedule for yesterday, Monday November 26.  After the Today programme, which I’ve moaned about enough in the past (please please John Humphreys do us a favour and retire), there’s Start the Week.  This used to be a jolly magazine programme: it has now become leaden.   At 945, fifteen minutes of fiction, followed at 10 am by the earnestness of Woman’s Hour (actually Woman’s Forty-Five Minutes, since the last fifteen are devoted to a fifteen minute drama).  At 11 am, to lift the spirits: “After a cancer diagnosis, musician Nile Rodgers walks the streets of New York”.  Wow.  At 11.30, Episode 3 of “55 and over”, discussing the prospect of having children as an older person.  Just the thing to listen to after a cancer diagnosis.  12 noon, and we’re into “You and Yours”, the consumer programme that I was already finding insufferably smug eight years ago.  This takes us up to the weather forecast for a few minutes before The World at One – something of a repeat of the Today programme, in which Martha Kearney hectors politicians.

Not much of a laugh in any of this.  I’ll spare you the rest of the day, which continues in similarly turgid vein.  At 6.30 pm there is at last a comedy show – and guess what, it’s “I’m Sorry, I haven’t a Clue”, which started in – wait for it – 1972.   As far as I can see this is the only comedy slot in the entire day.

The BBC has, of course, larger fish to fry with the problems of Newsnight accusing the wrong people of nefarious activity: but it would be nice to have some freshness and dynamism back on Radio 4.   If it were possible to switch it off more than I switch it on that’s probably what I’d be doing.

Antony Mair 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment