Wednesday 10 April 2013

Breaking into the poetry world


Since returning to the UK I've taken up poetry writing again - but this time on a regular basis.  I've been writing, on and off since I was a teenager, but over the past fifty years (ouch, it's that long) the poetry world has been completely transformed - not only in terms of technique, but in sheer volume of people writing.  It remains very much a minority pursuit, but an idea can be conveyed of the size of the poetry community by the fact that there were over 13,000 poems entered for the Poetry Society's National Competition.  The editor of one of the more respected journals has stated that they receive, coincidentally, 13,000 submissions each year, of which he publishes about 150.  In other words, you have a one in a hundred chance of being accepted.

Why bother about being published?  there's no money in it.  There can be an element of vanity: but, more to the point, among poets it's seen as a form of recognition.  Not being published doesn't necessarily mean you're bad.  But being published may indicate you're good. 

I've been quite daunted by the quality of what's published in the better magazines, and have felt at times that my little efforts are on a different planet.  But I plucked up courage a few weeks ago and sent some of them off, and was thrilled to get an acceptance for one from the editor of acumen.  This was followed by an email from the online Ink, Sweat and Tears, saying they'd take another one.  Quite a boost for confidence.  Meanwhile members of the Stanza Group I attend in Brighton are going from strength to strength, winning prizes and getting their pieces published in eminent places.  I feel like an aged tortoise to their hares, but still enjoy being part of the same landscape.

Antony Mair



3 comments:

  1. Antony, congratulations! Two acceptances in a week, and so soon after sending stuff out, you should feel really chuffed and encouraged by that. As you know, I'm a bit needy as regards getting published - it's definitely about recognition, but it also feels like there's always something bigger to aim for, which makes it a bit addictive. Let us know when your poem appears in Ink Sweat & Tears, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Good luck with your submissions - Brighton Stanza, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee thanks, Robin. I was quite chuffed because Patricia Oxley, editor of Acumen, said she wanted to use my poem for their 50th wedding anniversary - I'm only too delighted to oblige! Ink Sweat and Tears say it'll take around 12 weeks for my other one to be up. Meanwhile I've just sent off an application for a place on the Lancaster Uni distance learning MA in creative writing, which is a bit scary. Not sure if it's a good idea...did you hear that Jo got two poems on the National Poetry Competition longlist?

      Delete
  2. No I did not! Trust Jo to hide her light under a bushel (em, is that the phrase?) Plaudits all round! Good luck with the Lancaster application, I've been so tempted to do something like that so will be interested to hear about your experiences with it.

    ReplyDelete