Wednesday 23 January 2013

Progress in Poetry

 
Poetry reading at the Redroaster, Brighton
 
I'm pleased to say that my poetic attempts are making slow progress: the Stanza Group I belong to in Brighton had a reading in Brighton last week, which was my first experience of reading my creations in public.  And quite scary it was, in prospect.  Once in front of the microphone, however, the nerves calmed down.  An audience of about fifty people listened with interest and some were even kind enough to tell me afterwards that they'd enjoyed hearing them.  Generally a boost to the ego.  I've put a recording of the five poems I read on Soundcloud under the name "Brighton Reading" - just click on this link and then click on the squiggly graph and the sound should come out of the speakers on your computer.   
 
I'm not sure where this is all going, but in spite of the builders I'm reading a wide variety of poetry each day.  I managed to get through the major part of Ezra Pound's "Cantos", and am currently reading his other poetry.  Also Sylvia Plath, whose iconic status among feminists tends to obscure her daunting achievement in a sadly brief life.  And an excellent anthology of poetry from Skelton to Dryden, edited by Michael Schmidt.  On 20 February I'm due to start an online course with Catherine Smith.  I'm a bit wary of creative writing courses, because I think they're producing what someone has referred to as the "commodification" of poetry, but I've enjoyed the workshop sessions with the Stanza Group, and we'll see where this goes.
 
I'm still attending the monthly meetings of the Hastings Poetry Group, who are less earnest in their approach.  The theme for the next one is "Candles".  I do a serious poem and some light verse, as two separate contributions.  Here's the light one:
 
THE CANDLE

It began with a gift
from a visiting friend:
I opened it, sniffed
a peculiar blend
of patchouli and spice.
“Thank you,” I said, “very nice.”
 

Scented candles were new
- this was quite long ago –
and I hadn’t a clue
as to where it should go:
so I placed it for then
in my ex-husband’s den.
 

I’d not managed to banish
the smell of my ex
that I’d thought would soon vanish
but it stayed like a hex.
Though I’d had the den painted
it smelt somehow tainted.
 

So, later that night
I lit the small wick
and left it alight.
“That should do the trick,”
I thought with a grin
as I poured a stiff gin.
 
 
The next thing I knew
was a slap on the cheek
and a voice saying “Sue,
are you able to speak?”
I was out in the street
but somehow felt heat:
 
 
when I opened my eyes
I saw my house burning,
flames high as the skies,
and felt my head turning:
“W-what happened?” I stammered.
“You fell.  You got hammered.”
 
 
The insurance came good
and I rebuilt the place.
Paint, plaster and wood
have removed every trace
of the smells I had tried
to expunge from inside.
 
 
There’s a gentle perfume
throughout the new space,
and I’ve scented each room
with diffusers and sprays:
pomegranates and lime,
apple-blossom and thyme.
 
 
Life’s now smelling sweet
but the lesson I’ve learnt
is: get close to the heat
and your wings will be burnt.
Best to live on your own
in a candle-free zone.

Antony Mair 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment